UPDATE-Officer Involved Shooting in Chaves County
- Chaves County- 9:04 am this morning on US 285 mile post 87 north bound, in Chaves County, a vehicle pursuit was initiated. (a green Jaguar).
- Marked NMSP and Chaves County Sheriff units assisted in this pursuit.
- Stop Sticks were deployed and three tires were successfully deflated.
- The pursuit came to a stop on US 285 mile post 91.
- Upon the suspect vehicle coming to a stop, the suspect produced a weapon and began firing at NMSP officers and Chaves County Deputies.
- To stop the action, officers/deputies returned fire at the suspect. ( who ultimately succumbed to his injuries)
- A NMSP Sergeant received gun fire injures. He is a seasoned Sergeant with many years on the department.
- He was transported to the local hospital and was later released from the hospital, in good health.
- The deceased subject has been identified as Christoval M. Quintana (30) of Lovington NM
- Mr. Quintana does have a violent, criminal history. Mr. Quintana was currently on Federal Probation. Some of his past charges are: 1. 2002 to now miscellaneous traffic and dope charges.
- Convicted felon from September 2004. He was arrested for committing an armed robbery at First State Bank in Albuquerque. These charges landed him in the federal prison for 10 years. Then he was discharged from prison and was on supervised release under the federal probation and parole office. He was to be on supervised release until August 2016.
Fatal Crash info
- At 11:35, NMSP officers responded to a 4 vehicle crash (south of crime scene) on US 285 mile post 90.
- Involved were two pickup trucks, one SUV, and one commercial motor vehicle. The vehicles were rear-ended by the north bound CMV. The female Driver of Black SUV received minor injuries but was transported to local hospital.
- Male Driver of white p/u was complaining of neck and back injury
- Female driver of red p/u was airlifted to local hospital in critical condition, but unfortunately passed away at the hospital.
- She has been identified as Rosemary Becerra (39) of Lake Arthur NM.
- This crash was caused by the CMV. The driver of the CMV and passenger did not report any injuries.
- Roswell PD officer was also critically injured while directing traffic at the scene. He has been airlifted to a Texas hospital. Inquiries regarding the officer’s info should be directed to RPD. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the officer and his family.