Concealed Handgun Carry
Mail Applications to:
NM Department of Public Safety
Concealed Carry Unit
6301 Indian School Rd. NE Suite 310
Albuquerque, NM 87110
Incomplete applications will not be processed. Your fee will be deposited and you must meet the guidelines set forth in NMAC 10.8.2.11 C. Fees are non-refundable (29-19-5 B (2) NMSA 1978).
For a complete outline of eligibility requirements, refer to the New Mexico Concealed Handgun Carry Act of 2003 as amended in 2005 29-19-1 thru 14 NMSA 1978 and NMAC 10.8.2. Personal check, cashier’s check or money order should be made payable to: New Mexico Department of Public Safety. Cash will NOT be accepted. If you are applying for both a NM Concealed Handgun License and Training Instructor approval, submit one application indicate it is for both purposes by checking the appropriate box(es) at the top of the application. There is NO FEE if you are applying for training instructor approval only; however, an electronic background check is also required. Electronic fingerprint background checks can be taken at any 3M Cogent service center.
New Mexico Statutes Annotated (NMSA) Chapter 19 Concealed Handgun Carry 29-19-4. Applicant qualifications. (2005)
A. The department shall issue a concealed handgun license to an applicant who:
(1) is a citizen of the United States;
(2) is a resident of New Mexico or is a member of the armed forces whose permanent duty station is located in New Mexico or is a dependent of such a member;
(3) is twenty-one years of age or older;
(4) is not a fugitive from justice;
(5) has not been convicted of a felony in New Mexico or any other state or pursuant to the laws of the United States or any other jurisdiction;
(6) is not currently under indictment for a felony criminal offense in New Mexico or any other state or pursuant to the laws of the United States or any other jurisdiction;
(7) is not otherwise prohibited by federal law or the law of any other jurisdiction from purchasing or possessing a firearm;
(8) has not been adjudicated mentally incompetent or committed to a mental institution;
(9) is not addicted to alcohol or controlled substances; and
(10) has satisfactorily completed a firearms training course approved by the department for the category and the largest caliber of handgun that the applicant wants to be licensed to carry as a concealed handgun.
B. The department shall deny a concealed handgun license to an applicant who has:
(1) received a conditional discharge, a diversion or a deferment or has been convicted of, pled guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendere to a misdemeanor offense involving a crime of violence within ten years immediately preceding the application;
(2) been convicted of a misdemeanor offense involving driving while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs within five years immediately preceding the application for a concealed handgun license;
(3) been convicted of a misdemeanor offense involving the possession or abuse of a controlled substance within ten years immediately preceding the application; or
(4) been convicted of a misdemeanor offense involving assault, battery or battery against a household member.
You will be notified by the Concealed Handgun Carry Unit if you need to submit photos. You may request to have original documents returned to you. Submit this request along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope.